Law Enforcement Employment Opportunities for Certified Officers:
Written testing is waived for full-time law enforcement officers. Salary is commensurate with years of police service.
Our hiring process will be expeditious and accommodating.
• You must be certified as a full-time law enforcement officer.
• You must be eligible for waiver by the Maine Criminal Justice Academy (MCJA). (To receive this waiver, candidates must
successfully complete a written exam given by the MCJA and receive the consent of the MCJA Board of Trustees.)
SEND A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
Portland Police Department
109 Middle Street
Portland, ME 04101
• Following receipt of your application, applicants are scheduled for an interview and physical fitness testing. (The physical fitness test is required by MCJA for waiver. Details may be found at www.state.me.us/dps/mcja/forms.)
• A background investigation is conducted.
• Conditional job offers are made, and candidates then must complete a polygraph exam, a job suitability assessment and a medical examination.
• Officers currently certified in Maine start immediately in our Field Training Program.
• Officers certified outside of Maine must receive a waiver from the Maine Criminal Justice Academy. The Portland Police will hire selected candidates and then shepherd them through this process. The lateral hiring process may be completed in as little as two trips to Portland.
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, CONTACT US AT