Housing and Community Development
The City allocates these funds to infrastructure projects, social service programs, economic development, housing rehabilitation, and affordable housing development.
HUD funds are utilized to benefit low and moderate-income Portland residents and city neighborhoods where a majority of the residents earn low and moderate incomes. HCD supports a wide variety of projects and programs including social and neighborhood services, public facilities and infrastructure in eligible neighborhoods and housing rehabilitation and housing development. The Division works in partnership with residents, non-profit agencies and City departments to benefit low and moderate-income residents and improve the neighborhoods in which they live.
Map of Housing Assisted with Public Funds
More information about our housing programs, and housing resources, can be found through the links below:
Development of ten or more units of housing in the City allows a developer to get a density bonus- and also requires that the project provide either on-site workforce housing units, or make a payment to the City's Housing Trust.
Since the passage of the Ordinance in 2015, there have been several projects reviewed under its requirements. The projects have chosen a number of creative approaches to meeting the Ordinance, which si designed to provide flexibility in how to produce workforce housing.
Note that the units and fee-in-lieu contributions are not provided until the project is complete. Since construction can take two years for a major project, the City is just seeing the first units be complete and occupied. Nonetheless, this chart gives a sense of the pipeline of projects producing workforce housing:
- A1 - Inclusionary Zoning Background and Definitions
- A2 - Inclusionary Zoning Implementation Regulations for Developers of Homeownership Housing
- A3 - Inclusionary Zoning Implementation Regulations for Developers of Rental Housing
- A4 - Regulations for Owners and Tenants of Workforce Rental Units
- A5 - Regulations for Owners of Workforce Homeownership Units
- Portland HMFA Annual Median Income 2017
- Portland HMFA Annual Median Income April 2016